Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Summer towel tote

So, as usual, I get this great idea, start working on it and then JUST before I am finished I see it posted all over Pinterest.  I decided this time I was just going to post mine anyway!  So here it is.  The towel tote I started working on a few weeks ago.

I don't really have a tutorial for it but it really is easy.  (Read, I winged this) 

The Towel: Take any towel you like.  In my case I love targets RE brand quick dry towels because they are on sale a lot and SUPER soft!  For this shape I actually cut the towel in thirds but make it whatever you want!

Mine is folded along the side and sewn on the bottom and the other side.  I chose this because that left the nice manufactured towel edge on top.  I don't own a serger so when sewing sides that have been cut I use a medium zigzag stitch to make sure the seam holds. However, if a serger is available, I highly recommend serging any unfinished edges.  Less mess and looks better.

Handles: I made mine with some scrap fabric I had laying around.  I simple cut the length I wanted and double the width (don't forget to add in a seam allowance). Mine are about 30in long and 4in wide before being sewn.  
Fold in half, sew together, then turn.
Attaching the handles is easy.  I folded about 1/4th of an inch under and pinned down.  I then sewed a square and an x across the square to ensure it was sturdy.

Embellishment: If you own an embroidery machine you can find the pattern I used here: http://www.emblibrary.com/el/Products.aspx?Catalog=Emblibrary&ProductID=y3331

If you don't, try doing a simple flower like a hibiscus or something with floss maybe?  Or maybe stitch on some of the cute fabric flowers all over Pinterest?

Anyway, what I love about a towel tote is that you can toss wet pool toys or swimsuits in it without having to worry too much about finding a plastic bag.  Also, it is certainly washable.  The most important of all though is....

It's so soft and fluffy!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment